Hello creative friends! Let’s make some cute July 4th decor for the front porch… or anywhere you want to add some patriotic cuteness. Today. I’ll show you how to make these DIY wooden firecrackers that you can customize any way you like. As for me, I like to paint. Let’s DIY DO this!
* As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases and through other companies as well. You are not charged extra to use any of the links, but any income I make helps me create more amazing DIY projects to share with you! To see my full disclaimer, click here!
What You’ll Need To Make DIY Wooden Firecrackers
Once again, (I know you must be tired of hearing me say this) save those wood scraps! All I used for this cute DIY crafty project is some old 2X4s and some rusty wire. By now, you probably think my wood stash is running low. Neva!
Ha! That reminds me of Julia Childs when she says, “save the liver.” Don’t you just love her?? 🤣
- scrap wood ( 2X4s or 4X4s will work) 10-12-14 inch
- chalk mineral paint (cotton, barn red, bunker hill blue)
- artist brushes
- sanding block or wood sander (optional… for distressing the wood) Use my discount code DOIT10 to get an additional 10% off your order.
- drill and wood bits
- wire cutters
- rusty wire (if you want it rustic)
- stencils (or make your own)
DIY Wooden Firecrackers
Cut your boards to the length you like. I staggered the lengths of my boards… 10, 12, and 14 inches.
I have to admit this, but I didn’t even clean the boards before painting. They’re for my front porch, so I figured no one would know… well, maybe except you. Friends don’t judge. Right? 😄
Here’s is what they look like after painting and a little distressing because I wanted my wooden firecrackers to have a rustic feel.
How To Make A Star Stencil For Wooden Firecrackers
Why buy when you can DIY your own stencil? This is a super-easy way to create those simple stencils with minimal effort.
If you have a computer, create a word document and insert a star shape. Print it off on paper and cut it out with a pair of scissors. Lay the cut out of the star over your wooden firecrackers and trace around it with a pencil. I like using paper to make these simple stencils because it wraps around the sides easily.
Then with an artist brush, fill in the star with the paint color of your choice.
How To Make A Rustic Fuse For Wooden Firecrackers
This was fun! Time to get your bendy, bendy on! I used some rusty wire (I knew there was a reason I saved it) and bent it in the shape of a loose coil.
* Try bending the wire around a round object (a broom handle) if you want a more uniform curl on your fuse. The length is up to you.
It’s your wooden firecrackers, and if you want a short fuse… all I can say is you might be sending a subliminal message to your neighbors. HA! HA!
With a wood bit, drill a hole in the top of your wooden firecracker and place one end of the wire fuse inside. You can add wood glue if you like, but I didn’t. It depends on the size of the hole you drill. Mine was a pretty tight fit.
Easy Patriotic Porch Decor In 1 hour!
CUTE! My front porch looks patriotic now with my red, white, and boom! I can’t think of a better way to spend an hour than making these adorable wooden firecrackers.
Thanks for joining me today, and I hope this inspires you in your search for crafty DIY decor. And as always, I LOVE hearing from you, especially when you share your creative ideas or just say hi 👋 in the comment section below. It seriously makes my day.
Until the next project… xo, Do